Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Gooooooooooal!: YA Soccer


If you follow me on Twitter, you miiiight have noticed that I'm pretty into soccer/football and all things related to World Cup including very attractive soccer players. Okay, perhaps obsessed is a more accurate word. I make a point to watch every single game I can, I root for my favorites, cry when they lose, shriek when they win.


I expected to be tweeting into the void with all my soccer-induced all caps-ing, but I was delighted to discover that so many people in my bookish corner of the internet also care about soccer (or football, as everybody but us Americans call it, for reasons I am too lazy to Google). And so that got me thinking about some of my favorite YA books with soccer!

The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

18599716

Lainey is athletic, popular, bubbly, and absolutely loves to play soccer. I love how much she loves the beautiful game.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

452306

Don't pretend you didn't want to be Bridget Vreeland, she of the glorious hair and uber soccer skillz (tragic backstory/severe mother issues/commitment-phobia aside).

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkfmfbZRrG1qja5qio1_400.gif
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnsycwNFp41qaoe7xo1_500.gif

Shut Out by Kody Keplinger

Shut Out

This book is about a soccer team vs. football team rivalry that turns into a battle of the sexes, and it's cute and funny and swoony and classic Keplinger.

On the Fence by Kasie West

18298225

Charlie is super sporty. She plays soccer and basketball in school, but she also plays tons of football and soccer pick-up games with her brothers and friends and loves to watch baseball.

Do you have any favorite YA soccer books? (Have you been watching the World Cup?)

4 comments:

  1. Is it a coincidence that these are some of my favorite books evereverever? I THINK NOT. WHEEEHEEE FOOTBALL RULES THE WORLD.

    But srsly On the Fence + Lainey + Shut Out = how did I not see this trend before now??? (admittedly I haven't but should read the Sisterhood. whoops.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been avidly following the World Cup as well! Haven't read that many books with soccer players in them, though. The only one of these I've read is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but I've seen some good things lately about On the Fence, and Shut-Out just sounds very entertaining. Haven't heard too much about The Art of Lainey, but I'm wondering – is it more of a younger YA read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these soccer books! I've read all except for Shut Out and now I think I need to read Shut Out because I liked these other ones.

    My mind is kind of drawing a blank as it does when people ask me questions about books (lol even easy questions like what book did you last read and love and I am like uhhhhhhh let me check goodreads) so I can't think of any other soccer books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea On The Fence was about soccer... I guess I should pay more attention. I love sports related books despite the fact that I'm very un-athletic myself; they are just so fun to read about!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)