Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Tag




I saw Bekka and Christina do this thing so I DECIDED TO DO THIS THING because if all my friends jumped off a cliff I would also definitely jump off a cliff

A popular book or series that you didn't like

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1o4KOEmO0IA/UHRAyhlgNKI/AAAAAAAAAWk/Dk-riX0w_KE/s1600/new.easy.jpg
http://iserotope.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Matched-Ally-Condie.jpghttp://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393613084l/18163646.jpghttp://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366904609l/17332564.jpg

I'm not normally much of a black sheep, but I've got a few popular series that just DO NOT work for me. Matched by Ally Condie bored me stiff. Falling Into Place elicited zero of the feels. How to Love by Katie Cotugno enraged me.

But when I thought of my black sheep books, one of the first that came to mind was Easy by Tammarra Webber. It's not like I thought this book was crap by any means, but I don't get the hype at all, I guess.

A book or series that everyone seems to hate but you love

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1397755014l/20958632.jpg

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
I know a lot of bloggers didn't love this book, but I super did. I thought the writing was gorgeous and the magic inventive and the characters compelling and the ships super shippable. *white sheeps it up*

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350334557l/12930909.jpg

Bonus: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

A love triangle that didn't end the way you wanted it to

This is tricky because love triangles almost always end up my way. I don't know what it is, but my ships hardly ever lose and I get VERY VERY UPSET WHEN THEY DO *bashes Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girlsin the face* (I mean Jess, not, Christopher, fyi)

http://novelsounds.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/siegeandstorm.jpg

OH! I know. Nikolina. TEAM NIKOLAI. NO ONE APPRECIATES YOU, YOU PERFECT RAVKAN RAKE OF A PRINCE, YOU. #TeamNikolai

A genre you don't usually reach for

https://amyreed.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/crazy-cover.jpgThousand Words by Jennifer BrownBook Talk: If I Lie by Corrine JacksonBook Talk: Tease by Amanda MacielFaking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens | Book Review

Issue book contemporaries. I've loved a few in the past--usually the ones what have a very vibrant narrator with a sense of humor or a great ship or are QUILTBAG+--but they're just not the books that intrigue me based off synopsis, particularly if they're about bullying or suicide or drugs. I always find myself thinking "But like when are the dragons going to show up?"

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor | Book ReviewThe Fault In our Starshttp://d.gr-assets.com/books/1426334293l/23149128.jpg

Bonus: sick lit

A popular or beloved character that you do not like

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54dec8b3e4b0d191d4ffbf51/553d3c7de4b0c8f4f32e50fb/553d3c7de4b0c8f4f32e5618/1320412559537/1000w/selection+cvr.jpg

ASPEN LEGER MORE LIKE ASSPIG LOSER

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366904609l/17332564.jpg

Bonus: Sawyer from How to Love. I WILL STOMP ON YOUR FACE YOU ABSOLUTE DICKWEASEL

A popular author you just can't seem to enjoy

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/f8/d9/1359025140_8206_Delirium.jpg?itok=VNBJXPDK
https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1380425395/848981.jpghttp://redwing.lib.mn.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/vanishing-girls.jpg

Lauren Oliver. I read all of Panic, I got a third of the way through Delirium, and I got about a chapter into Vanishing Girls, and I just can't. There's no doubt she has talent, and some of her descriptions are breathtaking, but I just find the writing toooooo much. Too pretentious, too weighty, too writerly, if that makes sense. I know that her debut, Before I Fall, is supposed to be her best, and I'll definitely try it one day and hope I like it.

A popular trope you're tired of seeing

Jealous/controlling/overprotective boyfriend as sexy/ideal. Manic pixie dream girls who only exist to give boys meaning in their lives. Passive main characters. Slut shaming.

A popular series you have no interest in reading

http://cdn3.ssninsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Fallen-by-Lauren-Kate.jpghttp://d.gr-assets.com/books/1278885735l/7778981.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Hush,hush.jpg

Fallen. Halo. Hush, Hush. Angsty white angels, I guess. And, not to pick on LOLiver, the Delirium trilogy. There's zero chance of me going back. (Also lolololol, remember the pilot??)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiEwhDx8wtY2kplKuV91ozx_6BkCtO8hUjab53xaRL7gSw7NkF34ZPYJIPlnUFjC8VUeSCOlZ-M2nqJw8sYaQbFkC0W8nd4wbtyPokByg7NIGl-QaflE4h0kzIjOETWwpsDaC51YLyX6_wW/s1600/series.jpg
http://strangechemistrybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/iron-fey-series.jpg

Semi bonus: The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr and the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. I actually own all of the WL series, but I'm not a huge faerie person (despite my loving The Darkest Part of the Forest...whatever, I'm complex) so I don't think I'll ever get there.

A movie or TV show that was better than the book

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/thehundred/images/a/a7/The_100_-_New_Promotional_Poster_-_7th_May_2014_.png/revision/latest?cb=20140507213111

The 100 OBBBBVIOUSLY because it's FLAWLESS

Me when the show finally comes back on:

http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/the-100-season-2-bellarke-reunion-gif-1.gif
I MISSED YOU I MISSED YOU I MISSED YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFULLY BUFF ARMS AND CHISELED FORM AND THE FACT THAT YOUR ENTIRE PERSON IS SOAKED IN BLOOD

Now I tag...you! Anyone reading this! Both because I'm too lazy and hey, I love all of you, so

22 comments:

  1. I really really really REALLY just do not like John Green or his books. I do NOT get the love at all.

    I don't get why NOT Jess. He was like her spirit animal. They just meshed so well, while still being so different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO WE SHARE A BRAIN? We hate all of the same things. Nikolai was worlds better than the other two love interests combined. Easy did NOTHING for me. (Also trying to figure out WHY it was called Easy, given the connotations of the word PLUS the sexual assault in the book. Lord help me.) I hate Asspig Loser but I also hate Prince Masshole so. I, too cannot deal with Lauren Oliver. I made it through the Delirium audiobook, but couldn't read the print versions of the rest of the series. DNFed Panic. The only book of hers I've liked so far is Before I Fall but I read that when I was a baby blogger so my tastes were questionable.

    And YAAAASSS to Holly Black & Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOOOOO HOLLY BLACK AND BTDATDBS that is an unwieldy acronym my god

      Delete
  3. YAAAAS! Finally someone else who doesn't get the Lauren Oliver love. I actually read & enjoyed Panic, but all of her others (including Vanishing Girls) were just so boring. I don't get excited to pick up her books. I finally decided that she and I just aren't a good fit.

    Sick lit & issue book contemporaries are some of my favorite things, so we won't agree there.

    I still need to read The Darkest Part of the Forest. I've sent it back to the library twice just because I never got around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have liked some issue books and sick lit, but more often then not, they just don't SPEAK to me. Like I don't get that feeeeling like when I read a synopsis with THIEVES and PRINCES and DRAGONS and LADY WARRIORS and DOOMED SHIPS and such

      Delete
  4. I hate Aspen! I didn't think he was popular; mostly everyone I've come across dislikes him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually loved The Darkest Part of the Forest! I even thought it was better than the other young adult book by Holly Black that I've read!!!

    Oh my goodness, yes!!!! I am beyond tired of that bookish trope as well!!!!

    I cannot say anything about must of the books listed as I have not read them...but an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It makes me happy when I see people who loved TDPotF :)

      Delete
  6. I always find myself thinking "But like when are the dragons going to show up?" <-- my feeling towards all contemporaries.

    also, Matched and Lauren Oliver. I am 100% with you. Matched was boring as, and Delirium ... I liked the writing (I think ... it was a while ago that I read it) but it did not compel me. I'll never be returning to that trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing is totally well done, but you're night--it's not the kind that pulls me into the story or compels me. And it's not enough for there juuust to be nice writing!

      Delete
  7. I thought I was the only one who seriously disliked HOW TO LOVE, so thanks for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAH! I'm going to have to do this tag now. Love it!

    Also, can I say that I laughed for about a minute when I ran across this: "I always find myself thinking "But like when are the dragons going to show up?"

    Like, almost wet the bed laughter.

    I'm going to do this, because the last time you tagged me, someone had beaten you to it, so I owe you one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t know there were that many people who didn’t love The Darkest Part of the Forest! It was one of my favorites from last year :D *white sheeping with you*

    ReplyDelete
  10. ASPEN!!! *shoves him off a cliff*

    I can't really get into Sick Lit either. Like, I don't hate them. But I get no feelings whatsoever. They're just kind of there.

    Angsty white angels!!! *grumble* I did totally read all four Fallen books because...the covers are pretty. Legit, that was my reasoning. Bad life decision. I won't be doing it again. I really don't like angels in general anyway. Or mermaids. Or ghosts. Or mermaidghostangels.

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! With you on sick lit. They can totally work and be moving, but they uuuuusually they seem a little...shlocky to me? Very Hallmark. Like they only exist to manipulate my emotions as easily as possible.

      Totally with you on mermaids but I would SO READ A BOOK ABOUT MERMAIDGHOSTANGELS JUST TO SEE WTF WAS HAPPENING THERE

      Delete
  11. Lol, I totally feel the same way about Aspen (although I do, for the most part, enjoy The Selection trilogy). And YES to Nikolai! He was my choice in that love square, and I'm still so cranky that he wasn't Alina's choice in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "ASPEN LEGER MORE LIKE ASSPIG LOSER"

    I am completely unable to put into words the sound I just made, but suffice it to say I made my roommate spill her tea.

    I love your unpopular opinions - even though I share most of them, lol -and want you to know you are amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goooorgeous post Gillian :D Oh my gosh, you are amazing. I adore you. We don't have all the same books in common, but I love reading your thoughts about them all :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)