Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2015

All the 2015 Books I Forgot to Review: Fantasy Pt. 1




Oh, 2015. Where did you go? Why are you leaving me so soon? Was I not good enough for you?

Ahem. It's December, which means it's time to look back on all the things I did not do this year, of which there are myriad, and quite a lot of it involves reviewing the books that the gods have been kind enough to bestow on me, because I am entirely not worthy. Allons-y.


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Goodreads Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
Series: Yep, #1 in the series
Release date: September 25th, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt (Macmillan
Length: 465 pages
Source: ARC from the publisher
Rating: ksdhflspeijkrgewtherjgkhfgdfgfgdhwiue5iurhegf also !!QIJKELS also jfseuwrwahhhhh

I feel like I'm failing this book by not giving it a full review of its own, but it's the end of the year and my brain is mush and this is the best I can do. Besides, I don't know how eloquently I can express that this book is THE LITERAL BEST. Seriously. This is YA fantasy at its best. It's so good it hurts. Complex, layered, dark, gritty, emotional, action-packed. This is a heist fantasy book set in a world so rich with detail that reading this book is like living inside it. I enjoyed the Grisha trilogy immensely, but THIS. This is next level.

I'm so obsessed with Kaz Brekker and his crew. I want to help them break into places (and out of places) forever and ever. And I want them all to kiss forever and ever. The plot is one of those where the stakes are raised every freaking chapter, where you're convinced it'll all turn to crap and then suddenly the characters get out of their impossible situations. I don't throw out the word "genius" that often (actually, I probably do, but I hardly ever mean it), but this book is it. It's genius. If you read only three fantasy books next year (why would you do that though), let one of them be Six of Crows.


The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace
Goodreads | Amazon Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
Series: Yep, #1 in the Keeper Chronicles
Release date: March 3rd, 2015
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry (Simon & Schuster)
Length: 432 pages
Source: eARC from the publisher
Rating: ship a dee doo dah, ship a dee day

Oh man is this book totally entertaining. I loved the characters and their interactions. I loved every trope at play. This book is a total gift and the best kind of crack fantasy, where it's just like...dessert. I promise this is a GREAT THING, because dessert is the best. This makes zero sense, but trust me. This book is delicious. It stars a headstrong girl and a jerk of a noble and they hate each other, but obviously you just want them to make out all the time. And there's a lost princess, an ancient magic across the border, unsolved murders, and nefarious scheming galore, and you just have all the best ingredients simmering in one pot. Add in a world flavored with Brazilian inspiration and Gillian is a very, very happy camper.

Also, this book packs a FEELS PUNCH. Honestly, I thought this book was going to be fluff int he best way. Like, of course terrible and dramatic things happen, but I was shipping so hard that mostly I was squealing and gasping my way through this. AND THEN. AND THEN BECKY WALLACE DECIDED THAT NO, SHE WAS GOING TO DESTROY ME SOUL and that's cool, Becky, I wasn't using it anyway, brb sobbing for a thousand years. In a good way, obviously. Because this book is great. There are some world-building aspects best not looked at too hard, but i honestly can't remember what they were, because I read this book 10 months ago and all that stands out is OUCHHHH and SHIPSHIPSHIP. Which is about right. It leaps through many different viewpoints, and while some are stronger than others, if you feel the love for Rafi and Johanna (AND DOM) that I feel, then you're in for a fun ride.

11 comments:

  1. Six of Crows was just MIND-BLOWING. I liked Shadow and bone, but the love I feel for that book has no limits. I'm sad it's only a duo-logy, because I want them to be in my life forever.
    The storyspinner was such an enjoyable book. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such amazing things about both of these, THEY SOUND AMAZING and I really want to read more fantasy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop gushing about SIX OF CROWS! It is literally the first book that comes to mind when I think of my best reads this year, and it is just so bloody brilliant. So, so, so happy to see that it's basically rendered you speechless with joy in the same way it has arrested me! And, as for The Storyspinner, I want to read it! I don't know when I will, but it's definitely in my plans for my 2016 reading year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay :D Gorgeous reviews Gillian. <3 I'm so glad you loved these books. I did too. SO MUCH :D I cannot wait for the sequels, sigh. <3 Thank you for sharing about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "this book is THE LITERAL BEST." - I still can't fathom how good Six of Crows is. Like HOW. I mean, Siege & Storm was amazing, but it's trash next to Six of Crows. HOW.

    "And I want them all to kiss forever and ever." YES THIS FOREVER AND EVER AMEN

    "AND THEN BECKY WALLACE DECIDED THAT NO, SHE WAS GOING TO DESTROY ME SOUL" reading you with an Irish accent now, which is amusing. Planning to reread all the ship before Skylighter. Also, speaking of soul-destruction: that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOMEDAY I WILL READ SIX OF CROWS I PROMISE.

    Probably next fall when the sequel comes out because why wait when it's not THAT far away and so many other books.

    *hides self from the abuse*

    OMG I SOMEHOW REPRESSED THE SOUL CRUSHING FROM THE STORYSPINNER UNTIL I READ THIS POST HOW DARE YOU REMIND ME

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you basically picked two of the shippiest books of the year to review together. PERFECT.
    SoC was my first Leigh book and I'm going to remedy that immediately. ANOTHER MOTLEY CREW TO LOVE. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. ARG! I actually own Storyspinner. I just can't ever seem to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you did a post like this. Makes me feel okay with doing it myself! Also, I really need to read my copy or The Story spinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you did a post like this. Makes me feel okay with doing it myself! Also, I really need to read my copy or The Story spinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooo desperate to read Six of Crows! The book blogosphere could not be any more obsessed.

    Happy New Year, Gillian!

    PS I just read your Shippy Awards post and enjoyed it immensely. I forgot how blimming hilarious this blog is.

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)