Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Top Ten Settings I'd Like To See More Of


hosted by The Broke and Bookish

 Without further ado, here are ten settings I'd like to see more of in YA literature:

1. Space



It's big. It's pretty. I've never been there. LET'S HAVE MORE SPACE BOOKS.

2. Los Angeles



I know there's hardly a shortage of books set in my home town/current home, but it's always fun to read about a place you're familiar with. I read a book once that mentioned my high school BY NAME and I felt famous-adjacent.

3. New Zealand

Sea stack and mount Taranaki (New Zealand)
LOOK AT THAT it's so pretty it cannot even be REAL

Arguably one of the most gorgeous countries I've ever visited and definitely one of the most fascinating. Kiwis are awesome and I want to read more books about them!

4. On a boat




I spent a lot of my childhood on boats. They work beautifully as book settings, since if you're on a boat, you're automatically going on an ADVENTURE, and the setting is enclosed, meaning all the characters are trapped together to create DRAMA.

5. Under the sea

http://dreamcatcher03mc.tumblr.com/

WHY NOT, I say? I'd loved to read YA books set in underwater kingdoms or even in a submarine.

6. Restaurants/Bakeries/Kitchens


I. Love. Food. A lot. I love reading books about people who make food or eat food or just look at food. Let's have more foodie YA novels!

7. Renaissance Faires/historical reenactments or carnivals/amusement parks


I love reading books about teenagers with interesting and unusual jobs. I feel jobs at these places would qualify.

8. Ye Olden Times

Which Olden Times? I don't care. Pick one. More historical YA is fine by me.

9. Russia

Moscow. Snow.

Historical Russia or contemporary Russia. Either is fine with me. I looooove Russia. It is definitely the country I most hope to visit one day (in the summer, for obvious reasons).

10. Boarding school


A Little Princess

My favorite movie♥

Has it been done many a time? Of course it has. Doesn't mean it isn't super fun to read about. And there are no grownups around to interfere.

Bonus:

11. Paris
Because Paris holds the key to my heart.



By the way, it is a crime that there are no full clips of this scene on Youtube. Someone fix this.

Honorable mentions: New England, the South, Mexico, Spain, India, the Wild West, islands, airships, New England, underground, London, the Himalayas, the South Pacific, anywhere in Scandinavia, the jungle, Antarctica, oh my God I could do this forever.

27 comments:

  1. I too put my hometown- I always get excited when someone mentions the small-ish town where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My town isn't even remotely smallish and I still find it exciting! I'm like "Hey, I've been there! To that exact spot!"

      Delete
  2. I also put Russia. :) Great picks! Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine

    ~Danica Page

    Taking It One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  3. love yours! restaurants bakeries and kitchens would be awesome how didn't I think of that?

    Marissa @ Rae Gun Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin McKinley wrote a vampire novel (it's a far cry from Twilight) that features a baker and several scenes are set in the bakery. It's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read/ seen the movie 'Heavenly Creatures'? A great New Zealand pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that movies. Brilliant and disturbing!

      Delete
  6. Great list, I'd also love to read more books set in space, boarding schools, under the sea, and Russia as well. I'd also love to read a story set at a Renaissance fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've read one that was set at a historical reenactment village, but never a Renaissance Faire.

      Delete
  7. I too LOVE Russia! I didn't add it to my list, but seriously I've read plenty nonfiction about Russia and I need me some books with Russia as the setting. You pretty much are famous if your high school was mentioned by name! That's awesome! I highly doubt any books will be featuring my high school unless I write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so much non-fiction about Russia too that I think it would be lovely to find some YA novels set there. And yep, it's hard being famous, but I manage :)

      Delete
  8. Yay for Russia! And also olden times. I'm getting more interested in historical fiction so I'd like to see some new stuff with that setting. Also, boats. Yes to boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More historical fiction would be great. And OH MY GOD historical fiction ON boats (that aren't the Titanic). That would be awwwwesome.

      Delete
  9. A book about a girl that works in the cafeteria of a Russian boarding school... IN SPACE.
    I don't ask for much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!! Yay! Also, your Little Princess picture made me smile. I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both that movie and that book were my childhood.

      Delete
  11. I agree there need to be more books set in New Zealand. After all, it's my home country!! It's always awesome reading about places you know, and then hearing people want to visit because of that. Little tip though, if you want scenery, the South Island is waaaaay better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the South Island! I visited the Queenstown area and also went to Milford Sound. I think there is NOTHING as beautiful as Milford Sound. Mind-boggling. You're lucky be from such a beautiful country!

      Delete
  12. New Zealand is like my favourite place ever, even though I've never been there. In my defence, I've read tons and tons about that place. The LOTR movies are also set there and it just adds to its awesomeness.
    I've been to Paris, but it was before I read books that deliciously describe it (WHYY!). It's the saddest thing ever. I NEED to go again to visit the places that books such as ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and REVOLUTION (a great historical YA read, if you're interested) make sound so wonderful.
    I love food too even though I can't even properly crack an egg (are we noticing a trend here?) - I just love it when cartoons and Pixar movies include food and restaurants because food never looks better than in those media in my opinion (ex. Ratatouille).

    ReplyDelete
  13. An awesome book set in NZ - THE 10 P.M. QUESTION by Kate De Goldi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! I agree on more locations in space, under the sea, Russia, and boarding schools.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A book located in New Zealand, on a boat or at a boarding school are the ones that I also want to see from your list. I also want more college books and novels that take place in small towns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Have you read The Host by Stephenie Meyer? It's set on Earth, but it paints some wonderful visions of other planets.

    2. I always find it's a double edged sword when I read a book set in San Francisco. On the one hand, I'm like, "Hey! They used BART! That is so cool!" On the other, I'm like, "BART does not work like that. Jeez, couldn't the author have done a little research?"

    Realistically, I know it's impossible to get every little thing right, so I try to forgive and forget, but there's definitely something to the saying Ignorance is Bliss.

    5. Well, we've had vampires and zombies and the whole dystopian wave. I say let mermaids be the next trend! I'm ready for 'em!

    8. We need more Time Travel. Time Travel that isn't convoluted by the semantics of Time Travel and Paradox. I love reading about people jumping forward or backward in time, but it always gives me a headache when the author tries to write time travel with too much depth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a terrific list. I love reading foodie books too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, Anastasia reference FTW! I was thinking the same thing for the underwater pick. New Zealand seems oh so pretty, I want to go there. But overall I love the list...and food.

    My TTT: http://blueskyshelf.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-ten-tuesday-settings-id-like-to-see.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)