Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Baking the Books: To All the Cookies I've Loved Before




Welcome to Baking the Books, where I bake things inspired by my favorite novels! Since I do a lot of reading and a lot of baking, it was only a matter of time before the two things overlapped. It's just part of my evil plot to get books involved in every single aspect of my life.

Last time on Baking the Books: Percy Jackson cupcakes

This week, I'm baking To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han!



I loved To All the Boys I've Loved Before for four reasons. 1) It's awesome. 2) Lara Jean Song Covey. 3) Peter K. 4) THE COOKIES. Our delightful main character, Lara Jean, loves to bake, and, as you might have noticed (I'm really subtle about it), so do I. So obviously I had to channel my inner Lara Jean and throw my own Christmas cookie bonanza, albeit in May.

The Christmas cookie bonanza starts December first.

--To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han



Kitty keeps a list of which cookies we're definitely doing and which ones we're maybe doing. There are a few perennials. My dad loves pecan crescents, so those are a must. Sugar cookies, because those are a given. Snickerdoodles for Kitty, molasses cookies for Margot, cowgirl cookies for me.

I decided to skip making Josh's white chocolate cranberry cookies, Margot's molasses cookies, and Peter's fruitcake cookies (sorry, boyfriend!) because those cookies are less attractive on camera, and also I am NOT a fruitcake lover (sorry, boyfriend, again!). Also I wanted to channel the adorable cover, so I made cookies that were white, black, and pink. I put some cinnamon in my sugar cookies for Kitty, made some cowgirl cookies for the first time for Lara Jean, and then made some pretty black and white cookies for myself.



I'd never heard of cowgirl cookies before Lara Jean mentioned them, but they are scrumptious. They're made with oatmeal, chocolate chips, M&Ms, and pecans (which I left out), and they're super easy. I used this recipe here, which also tells you how to make these adorable gift jars with cowgirl cookie mix and YES. I vow to make those one day. They look like something Lara Jean would adore.



The black and white cookies are a really traditional recipe, and typically come out very soft and spongy and yum. Usually they're frosted with fondant, which is like a sugar dough, but I don't like the taste. So instead I made some vanilla and some deeply chocolately, yummy icing and heaped tons on top.


I split my sugar cookie dough in half, making little coins with one half that I then rolled in cinnamon sugar and cutting hearts out of the other. They're little cookie love letters, and we know how Lara Jean feels about love letters. And, of course, I dedicated (and decorated) my sugar cookies to Lara Jean and to Peter K., love of my life.

 
For the cowgirl cookies, I managed to find some dark pink M&Ms that match the cover PERFECTLY.


There are so many cookies in my house right now. Seriously. It doesn't sound like a problem, but it actually kind of is. There's nothing stopping me from eating them all.


Here are all three of the cookie types together! I just love the way they play off the colors in the cover.


I would make a good Song girl. I will totally bake cookies with you, Lara Jean! I might steal your boyfriend a little bit accidentally, though. You don't mind, right?




11 comments:

  1. Have you considered making this a meme - as in, so others could join?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^^^FABULOUS idea. Also--it is way too early for me to be craving cookies, LOL. Wonderful post ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, what a fun title! Someone should write a (cook)book with that title!! Maybe a cookbook with YA-inspired recipes? *hinthint* :D
    I have never made cowgirl cookies (or heard of them), but I love M&Ms (and chocolate chips :) so I'm bookmarking the recipe.
    I'm not a fan of fondant either, but your icing sounds yummy~ (looks great as well!)
    And those pink hearts!! So cute. The one with the letter on it especially <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please allow me to eat all of these. Also, the heroine in Darkest Fear loves to bake, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies made me so hungry LOL i love and hate you right now!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now I'm hungry. Especially for those half moon cookies. They bring me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good! I'm not a baker but I'm actually really interested in trying out those cowgirl cookies! They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'a little bit accidentally' That's going to be my new saying, lol! The cookies look supernummylicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cowgirl cookies look SOSOSOSO good! Black + white cookies are super delicious. Cookies are my favorite dessert so I am so in love with this post. Whenever I get married, I so want you to make cookies for the reception! (but at this rate, that could be ten years from now hah)

    ReplyDelete
  10. THESE COOKIES ARE SO YUMMY! I seriously am still kind of not happy that we don't live closer so I could "help" by taste testing all your goodies ;) You did an awesome job with the Christmas Cookie Bonanza for To All the Boys I've Loved Before! I LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you seriously love to bake! That's a lot of cookies and they all look delicious. Love this post - and also loved this book by Jenny Han.
    And thanks to Leandra ^^ for directing me to your yummy blog =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)