Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Brand New Feature: 'Ship Shape!



Welcome to the first ever installment of 'Ship Shape, a new blog feature for a new year in which I gush and swoon and fangirl over all my favorite bookish couples! I know what you're thinking. "Gillian... um... don't you already do that all the time already?" To which the answer is: yes! I do! But let's do it MORE!







No. What? No. Not that kind of shipping.

I'll start off this feature--meant to highlight a different literary power-couple, will-be-couple, or should-be-couple during each installment--with one of the greatest pairings of all time that taught my impressionable young heart what shipping truly means.

Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

If you do not ship them, you are wrong. Here, look, this is why:



Do you see that? Do you see that? That, right there in their gazes, is not merely lust (though clearly they've got the hots for each other, because... well, look at them), but admiration. Understanding. Esteem. Through all the trials, tribulations, and misunderstandings Jane Austen (and themselves, mostly. Oh, and Lydia. And the perfidious Wickham) puts them through, they come to understand the truth of one another.

They go from this:


 To this:



 In between, there are all sorts of moments like this:

























HUZZAH!!!!!! AND IT ENDS WELL FOR EVERYBODY! Well, almost.

The first time I read the book, I fell head over heels in love and was immediately all:

 

Why? Because Lizzie and Darcy are a healthy couple. They're mental equals. They respect each other. They bring out the best in each other and help counter the worst. They're balanced and fun and smart, and their love grew through experience and misunderstanding and two minds slowly coming together. IT IS ALL THE SWOONS.

And that is why I'll ship Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy until the end of time. Because they're perfect.



So, what say ye about the awesomeness of Lizzy and Darcy, and any medium you've experienced them in, be it book, film, or web series (I, being awesome and accomplished and all that, have seen practically all possible P and P adaptations. To see them ALL is my life's goal). Any couples you'd like to see featured on 'Ship Shape in the future? Hit the comments!

26 comments:

  1. Great idea, Gillian! And I love that you featured one of my favorite couples first. :) Maybe you could do the couples from The Lunar Chronicles in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I'm saying is that if Trevor and Addie aren't next I'm not talking to you for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *mumblemumbleIloveTrevorbutitmustwaistmumblemubleFLEES*

      Delete
    2. It must WAIT. NOT WAIST. *thinks about Trevor's waist* I'm sure it's a lovely waist.

      Delete
    3. MUST WAIST. Are they going on the biggest loser? LOL

      Also, they don't have gifs. That's problematic. Movie things are niiiice.

      *coughs* COFFEE PRINCUUUUUUUU

      Delete
  3. *excessive fangirling*
    I cannot coherently express how much I like this idea. (Also, is there a couple more perfect than Liz/Darcy?)
    Is Romione too cliched? Oh and can I get me some Anna/Etienne St. Clair? Kthnxbai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELL YES, Lizzy and Darcy FOREVER!!! <333 Btw, are you watching the new "adaptation" Death Comes to Pemberley? I have yet to check it out... #curious

    Love this new shippy feature! :D And yes, please do Anna/St. Clair, too!!! Or the couples from Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we don't get some THESE BROKEN STARS in here, I'll be very upset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute feature and definitely reminds me I'm due for a re-read of P&P because it's been far too young and I don't think my younger self appreciated it as much as it deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO REWATCH ALL OF LBD, GILLIAN! Curses. Also, that Mr. Collins GIF creeped me ooooooooouuuuuuut.

    Can't wait to see who you pick next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for Lizzie and Darcy!

    Also these: Hector and Elisa. Chaol and Celaena. Juliette and Warner. Alanna and George. Sturmhond and me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited about this feature!

    I think this was the perfect ship to start with too! I mean who doesn't love these two and their perfect, real, love. I mean they get pissed at each other, they walk away from each other and in the end they end up together and they are perfect! Honestly these two give me large amounts of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol, awesome post Gillian :D Thank you for sharing these posts. <3 Though I have never read this book, hih (A) but one day. Perhaps :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so very much for starting with the most important shipping in the history of shipping and for the plethora of ovary bursting gifs.

    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Google ate my comment. :(

    This is clearly the BEST idea out of all the ideas in the world of blogging. Seriously Brilliant. And then to top it off, you use my favorite bookish couple as your first entry. LOVE

    As for the next pick, someone with good smooches, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh I love this new feature! Ship Shape! Cutest, perfect-est name! And YES LIZZIE AND DARCY UNTIL THE END OF TIIIIME! Perfect first couple to feature. Seriously, how are you so good at the gif-ness. Every single one is full of YES. I've only watched at 15 eps of LBD but this makes me really want to finish it, good lord Darcy is hot! I know it's blasphemous but I really do love the 2005 version of P&P the best btw. They're all good though, I can't resist like you said! Just watched You've Got Mail over Christmas, I love how they talk about Lizzie and Darcy too! "I get lost in words like thither. Mischance." Well done Gillian, best feature ever. And you already know this but JO AND LAURIEEEEEEE. That is my wish. Also Georgia and Dave the Laugh! Harry and (book) Ginny! Anna and Etienne <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm confused...I thought 'shipping was the imagining of a potential couple that's not actually a couple in the novel. But...Darcy and Lizzy are. So it's....spazzing out over an awesome couple?
    (I'm so not in with the cool kids and your hip speaking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ship is just a relationship that you invest in. Shipping is the act of wanting/needing/loving them together. Some ships are "canon" (aka actualized in the source material, like Lizzy and Darcy), some are just prospective and may get together at the end, some are non-canon and have no chance of being together (Jo and Laurie. I STILL SHIP THEM). Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  15. First, I love this feature! I will be reading this in the future, for sure! Such a great idea, so many couples to swoon over! (Both canon and non-canon.)

    Second, I now have to reread Pride and Prejudice. And watch every version of this book ever! God, Lizze and Darcy are the perfect couple. The couple other couples aspire to be like! :D I just love their conversations with each other. Witty and biting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh I love this new feature! And it's not just because Lizzie and Darcy are my favorite literary couple OF ALL TIME. This made me want to re-watch every adaption, including The Lizzie Bennet Diaries - and I do not have time for that today so I'm also a little bit angry about that fact.

    I cannot wait to see what ships show up in the future! So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elizabeth and Darcy were probably my very first OTP. And if they weren't, every OTP I have is always at least slightly overshadowed by those two. And as much as I have a BILLION SHIPS that I am 100% behind....Elizabeth/Darcy is the mother of all ships. I loved them in books and movies and spin offs and every possible retelling. It's no wonder that hate/love is definitely my favourite relationship trope! What with them as my first ship, I didn't stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your post basically makes me want to go and watch that episode of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries yet again. You know which one I'm talking about! But for real, yes. I absolutely agree with this post. Elizabeth and Darcy are just such a WONDERFUL couple.

    Also, this new feature excites me! I can't wait to see who else you're going to feature (aka I am waiting for all my ships from The Lunar Chronicles to arrive).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear lord I need to rewatch LBD immediately. I NEED IT. Also, OTP. Them and Beatrice/Benedick. NEEEEEED. YESSSSS.

    They are healthy. She teaches him how to laugh and she gets to spend time with someone smart enough to appreciate her. *swoons*

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)