Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Top Ten Debut Authors I Read In 2013


http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/toptentuesss1.jpg
Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Since 2013 was the year I read more books than I've ever read in my life, there was no way I could possibly do this topic as it's meant to be done: top ten "new to me" authors of 2013. Why? Because practically every author I read this year was new to me, so we'd be here all day, listening to me blather about all eleventy hundred of my favorite recent authorial discoveries.

Instead, I switched it up to Top Debut Authors of 2013, aka the new kids on the block who most definitely deserve to stay in the neighborhood.

1. Kasie West

1198804615283043

The 2013 books: Pivot Point, The Distance Between Us

Her sarcasm speaks to my soul. Her books make me swoon (The Distance Between Us) while they hurt my heart (Pivot Point. That ending!!!!). 2014 is full of Kasie West releases, including the sequel to PP and yet another swoony romance) (Off the Fence, and I'm marking my calendars for both of them. Split Second. I neeeeeds it. I WANTS IT.

2. Amy Tintera

13517455

The 2013 book: Reboot

I was not expecting to enjoy Reboot quite as much as I did, but oh boy, I fell for it pretty hard, despite it being the sixty thousandth dystopian I've read in my life. I loved the twist on zombies, Wren is coldly bad-ass, and Callum? Sweet, sincere, warm Callum? Hello, boyfriend. Hello. Rebel, please be in my clutches.

3. Josin McQuein

 12138494

The 2013 books: Arclight, Premeditated

 Premeditated, a revenge-thriller contemporary, was one of my most anticipated books of the entire year, and it didn't disappoint. Considering I've been waiting for this book since, what, 2010, when its query showed up on Query Shark for critique, this is pretty darn impressive. Then there's Arclight, a sci fi/dystopian novel that proves McQuein can write in any and all genres.

4. Emily Murdoch

15793231

The 2013 book: If You Find Me

If You Find Me was powerful, moving, and gorgeously written. I was not expecting to love it as much as I did, but rest assured, I will read whatever Murdoch writes next.

5. Cristin Terrill

13514612

The 2013 book: All Our Yesterdays

Kudos to Terrill for writing a twisty turn-y, wibbley-wobbley time travel story that didn't break my brain, but certainly broke my heart.

6. Amie Kaufman

13138635

The 2013 book: These Broken Stars

THESE BROKEN STARS. THESE BROKEN FEELS. ALL CAPSLOCK. ALL THE EMOTIONS.

7. April Genevieve Tucholke

12930909

The 2013 book: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

I could not get over how lyrical and atmospheric the prose in this book was. Combine that with the haunting narrative and sublime cover, and you've got a book I just couldn't bear to put down... even as it was creeping me the heck out. Between the Spark and the Burn, I can haz? Pleez?

8. Mindee Arnett

12411635

The 2013 book: The Nightmare Affair

This book was so cute and charming. The love interest was adorable, the MC was plucky, and the supernatural shenanigans going on were all to my liking. I can't wait to read my copy of Arnett's new book, Avalon, and I'm even more excited for TNA's sequel, The Nightmare Dilemma!

9. K.A. Barson

13424250

The 2013 book: 45 Pounds (More or Less)

This book is one of those under the radar gems that so many more people should be talking about. It's funny and heartfelt. Ann is a wonderful narrator who made me laugh out loud so many times. This is one of the best books I've ever read about weight issues. By far.

19 comments:

  1. I totally agree with Kasie West and K. A. Barson being on your list! They are both great authors and I'm looking forward to whatever they write next! I haven't read any of the other authors books on your list, but a few of them are ones I want to eventually read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so clever with your topic switch up. So wise. So perfect....

    Oh wait. That's irrelevants and overshare.

    But shameshameshame on me because the only book I've read on this list is THESE BROKEN STARS. I have others. I just haven't read them yet. *shameshameshame* BUT I REALLY LIKED THESE BROKEN STARS SOOOOOO THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THESE BROKEN FEELS!!! I still want to be curled up in the fetal position from finishing that one last week.

    I'll definitely be adding a few of these other ones to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasie West is a pretty popular choice, I made it too :) I haven't read Reboot yet, but I'm planning to start it soonish.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that I'm a HUGE Emily Murdoch fan too! That book slayed me! Also I forgot about Between The Devil. That book was pretty brilliant!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. GO Kasie West! She seems to be a popular one in the Tuesday Posts it seems. And agreeably so! I love her and NEED to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, but I still need to read PIVOT POINT! And, ugh, THESE BROKEN STARS, that book was a whirlwind of feels and I just don't even know. Great list!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also really liked Reboot :D Almost every list I've seen so far has Kasie West on it, so I really can't wait to give Pivot Point a shot. If you find me was a stunning book. I wasn't blown away by All our yesterdays, but I'm so excited to read These broken stars & Between the devil..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you did the list this week -- good idea for if you did read a lot of new authors!

    KASIE WEST. Yesssss. She made my list. GOD I JUST WANT ALL THE BOOKS FROM HER.

    KA Barson: I'm glad I got to squeeze that book in before the end of the year which reminds me I need to go change an answer on my End of Year survey to put 45 pounds. SOOOO under the radar and so goood!

    Loved These Broken Stars!

    I own nearly all the other books on your list but now I need to read them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also discovered Mindee Arnett and Amie Kaufman this year and both are now part of my fave authors! Some others of your list I still need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like zis list! I definitely have Kasie West and Cristin Terrill on my list. GIMME Split Second or I'll split someone.

    These Broken Stars is an asdfghjkl book!

    Reboot and Arclight are so goignto be read. By me. Next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Top Ten! I don't have any of these authors on my list, but a lot of the books are on my TBR. I'm dying to read These Broken Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Nightmare Affair was totally cute, I loved it. All Our Yesterdays was equally good and basically I still need to read all the others. Kasie West appears to be a definite must add to my TBR though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WHERE IS ROBYN SCHNEIDER?!?!?! *pounds fist*

    But really this was a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, awesome list sweetie. <3 If You Find Me! Need to re-read soon. And Reboot. <3 Love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES to These Broken Stars. I own The Distance Between Us, All Our Yesterdays, and If You Find Me, but I'll have to read them next year. And I'm itching to read Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Great list, Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still need read Pivot Point by Kasie West. Well, anything by her, really, but that's the one I want to read.
    If You Find Me sounds intriguing as well.
    Amy Tintera and Josin L. McQuien almost made my list.
    Check out my TTT: http://awesomemonica.blogspot.com/2013/12/top-ten-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. BtDatDBS was absolutely spectacular. I'm starting Pivot Point soon; everyone seems to keep harping on Kasie's books. TBS is sure to be good, everyone seems to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your list. I really do need to check out Kasie West, Cristin Terrill and Amie Kaufman. Their books have been on my list for a while, I just haven't got round to reading them!
    I really like the look of Reboot by Amy Tintera, just added it to my TBR! I also really like the look of 45 Pounds by K.A. Barson.

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)