Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Top Ten Reads of 2013 (So Far)


http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/toptentuesss1.jpg
hosted by The Broke and the Bookish


IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, because just forcing me to choose ten alone was cruel enough (which is why I cheated and chose... not ten).

Books I read and were published in 2013:

Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)The Archived (The Archived, #1)

1. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
My review is basically all exclamation points, drooling over Sturmhond, and gifs of Zac Efron freaking out about things.

2. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Haven't put my review of this one up yet, but I'm sure it will be entirely incoherent, because GAH.

3. The Archived by Victoria Schwab
I loved this book even more than I expected to. The creepy, atmospheric quality, the depths of feeling, Mac, Wesley-- I loved it all.

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

4. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Gorgeous writing, a cracker-jack plot, and excellent side characters. A healthy helping of Warner doesn't hurt either.

5. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
This series is so much fun. it's science fiction-lite with a fairy tale twist, and I thought this book was even better plotted than Cinder, plus it had three times the man candy. I will never complain about added amounts of man candy.

Faking It (Losing It, #2)GorgeousThe Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)

6. Faking It by Cora Carmack
This book was romantic, humorous, and everything New Adult should be.

7. Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick
I know this book won't be for everyone, but it was SO FOR ME. It was hilarious, adorable, and full of British people doing royal British things.

8. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
I know for a fact my review for this was completely incoherent, because it was so very !!!! and also ?!?!?!

FangirlPivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Another one I can't put up a review for yet, because it doesn't come out for a while, but Fangirl is cute and so very much what I want NA to be. Faking It is what I want the sexy New Adult titles to become; Fangirl is what I hope the rest of the genre will be. I connected a lot with the heroine, and saw a lot of myself in her, and also there are Emergency Kanye Dance parties. Yes.

10. Pivot Point by Kasie West
 I'm not normally one for paranormal romance but this one hooked me right off. I love all of West' characters (ADDIE + TREVOR FOREVER) and she pulled off this really tricky concept flawlessly.

Honorable 2013 mentions: Arclight by Josin McQuein, The Distance Between Us by Kasie West.

BONUS: Books I read but were published BEFORE 2013, because I don't know when to quit:

 Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)
 Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)Everneath (Everneath, #1)

1. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
2. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
3. The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen
4. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
5. Everneath by Brodi Ashton

What are the best books of 2013 that YOU'VE read so far? Have you read/loved/hated any one mine? Leave me your links if you have them so I can come visit!

33 comments:

  1. This is a great list Gillian, Crown of Midnight made it to my list too. I loved Unravel Me and so would have made it to my list but I read it last year. Also I can't wait to read Pivot Point and The Madman's Daughter. This was such a tough Top Ten Tuesday, I had such a hard time sticking to ten books too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a number of titles that are on my want-to-read list (The Madman's Daughter, Fangirl, etc.), glad to hear they were all excellent! =D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a few of these are on my list as well. Great minds think alike, right? ;) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FINALLY!!! Someone who loves Graceling as much as I do. I feel like my life purpose has been satisfied (for the next five minutes anyway). And you JUST read The Thief? For shame! That was one of my favourite series growing up. I'm seeing a lot about The Archived, which I hadn't heard of before so I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so behind on 2013 releases! I just read Cinder last night, and I'm contemplating buying Scarlet tomorrow at my local indie because I'm that obsessed!! I really need to read Pivot Point! I've heard fantastic things about it - and I'm glad to see Anna made it onto your list!

    Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I love it. I also added 5 more. I can never keep these kinds of lists to 10! I'm so jealous you've already gotten to read Crown of Midnight (I am so excited for that one!) And I came really close to adding Faking It to my list, but I was already at my max number. So many others of these are on my TBR! Great list!

    My TTT

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great list! I want to read quite a few of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, your list is glorious! You know, the fact that we both put Gorgeous on our lists could have something to do with that! I seriously keep thinking about that book. BEST BOOK EVER! I mean the rest of your list is good too. I have some catching up to do though.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Really want to read crown of midnight:)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.com/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-teaser-tuesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I found it quite difficult to pick just ten books, too. A lot of mine are from before 2013 - I picked Lola and the Boy Next Door, which I read quite recently, although I think maybe I still liked Anna a little bit more (I'm torn!). Fangirl sounds excellent - I really want to read Eleanor and Park soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wasn't Pivot Point fantastic?! It was so so clever and pulled me right in from the start. Possibly my favorite read of the year.


    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I want to read just about all of them! (I've only read Graceling so far). I need to read more recently released books! :)
    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gah! The Archived. Why didn't I love that? WHY?? I do not understand. Some of the books that I was the black sheep on are haunting me today.

    HAHAHAHA, we did the same books from other years don't count thing. YEAH.

    GRACELINGGGGGG! Did you read Everbound yet? You must not have, because it is EVEN. BETTER. GET IT GURRLLLLLLLL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean. It was so hard to just pick ten and not more! The majority of these are on my list as well. Great selection!

    My TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna and the French Kiss was perfect beyond words! Like seriously! Unravel Me and Scarlet are in my TBR pile and I'm also currently reading Shadow and Bone. I think I'm going to read Seige and Storm because Shadow and Bone is making me really engrossed in the book. Nice picks!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHHH! The lunar Series! I loved Scarlett and can't believe we have to wait so long for the next book! I always end up forgetting half of what I've read! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still need to read that copy of THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER I have...

    Also, *clutches THE THIEF tightly*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list! I loved reading Anna! Archived, Faking It, Scarlet and Pivot Point are all on my to read list.
    Top 10 Tuesday
    Review: Obsidian

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna is the best. I love that book so much. I really enjoyed Pivot Point. It made my list, too. I really need to read The Archived. I've heard great things. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! I adore Graceling and Anna and the French Kiss! Plus several of the books you mention are on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are so many series on this list that I'd like to get into! Anna and The French Kiss was one of my favourites last year and I've seen it on so many lists today already :) Happy Reading!

    My TTT with a twist!

    Annoushka @ Annoushka Reads

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list! I am reading Crown of Midnight now and loving it! I adored Siege and Storm, Unravel Me...and so many from your list.

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  23. Scarlet is on my list, too. I can't believe how much I love The Lunar Chronicles. Oh, and I am sooooo glad that you loved Fangirl. I haven't read it yet (I'm trying to wait closer to the release date), but I've been seeing it on other people's TTT posts, so that makes me happy. And oh my gosh, I CANNOT WAIT to read The Distance Between Us. Honorable Mentions are totally awesome, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anna and the French Kiss is just so good; it made my list too. I really want to get around to Faking It. I think it's a book that I would really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, the books! THE BOOKS!! Scarlet and Siege and Storm made my list too. I'm planning on reading Pivot Point and Fangirl soon, and I'm reading Unravel Me right now. So many great books out there!

    Also, I, too, am a cheater and chose more than ten. :D

    Ems
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  26. AH! These are all on my TBR list! I can't wait to dive into these *cough* Siege & Storm *cough*. I'll be getting Fangirl soon and I've heard amazing things with Pivot Point. LOVE.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic list, every single title is one I want to read!!! Ridiculously excited about Crown of Midnight and I really need to read Cinder & Scarlet before the next one comes out :)

    My Top 10 Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love how I see many of the books I got you to read up there <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Archived, Graceling, and Everneath are amazing books! I haven't read the rest of them, but they're on my TBR shelf! See my TTT at: http://ashleythebookjunkie.blogspot.com/http://ashleythebookjunkie.blogspot.com/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am currently reading Losing It so seeing you thought it's sequel is so good is encouraging! The Madman's Daughter is one I want to read.
    Here are my top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  31. UGH BASICALLY ALL OF THESE. The ones I've read were were PHENOMENAL & I'm positive the ones I haven't read yet will be equally as amazing.

    & I'm absolutely thrilled with what you had to say about Fangirl/NA. I haven't tried any NA yet - I KNOW - but everything I've heard about this book makes me delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are so many brilliant books on this list that I don't even know which one I want to comment on! I'm obviously not surprised Crown of Midnight made this list, as it is EPIC and we both know it and CHAOL is amazing in it. SO GOOD <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)